Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Weird

Three of the six finch eggs hatched.  A day or two ago I checked and it appeared that at least one of the baby birds was no longer alive  This morning I checked and the nest is completely empty except for one live baby.  No egg shells, and no sign of the other two baby birds.  Does the mother clean it out or something?  There are no shells or anything on the ground below either.

In other animal news, make sure your dog never eats grapes.  Sunday night Lila ate probably a pound of grapes that had accidentally been left out, and she's been in the animal hospital ever since.  She was in kidney failure within a couple hours of consumption.  Twenty-four hours ago the news was not at all good, and we were mentally preparing for the possibility of having to put her down.  We went to visit her last night, thinking it might be one of the last times we saw her.


This morning she has amazed everyone by being completely normal.  It doesn't appear that there is any lasting damage, and she should come home this afternoon (some $700+ later).  So, it seems that everything will end well, but don't risk it, grapes are dog poison!



19 comments:

Carmen said...

Awww I'm glad your dog is okay. I had no idea grapes are poisonous to dogs.

Tanya said...

Me neither! I'll consider this to be your public service announcement! :) Thanks!

the J in PJs Til Noon said...

I think I saw this on Rachel Ray. Hope Lila makes a full recovery. I'm glad she's ok.

Rustown Mom said...

Oh my goodness - you've had your fair share of animal trauma for the month! It is possible another animal (like an oppossom or owl) got into that nest?

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Poor Lila! My Pom ate a grape the other day that fell on the floor. She grabbed it before I could stop her. No problems here, but I was worried. :s

Sarah and Jack said...

When we had a robin's nest by our backdoor the same sort of thing happened. I kept waiting and waiting hoping to pick up some no longer needed (but lovely!) eggshells, but they all just disappeared. I have no idea what the birds do with them though.

Sorry to hear of the dog troubles, oy, that's a lot to swallow.

April 27, 2010 12:28 PM

Lucy Marie said...

Grapes? I had no idea ... I will remember that. I'm glad Lila is okay.

Melissa said...

It is amazing how many human foods can make a dog deathly ill. I am glad your dog pulled through!!

Meg said...

My little dog wont even eat grapes, I've dropped them on the floor before and he sniffs it and then walks away. I like to think he is super smart. :)

I am glad to hear your baby girl is doing ok, because I don't like even thinking about something happening to my little boy.

Primitiques 'n Poetry said...

I never knew about the grapes. So glad to hear Lila has beat the odds.

As for the shells, if I'm not mistaken, and nope, I'm not going to look it up, the momma eats and/or feeds the eggs to the babes. Or, perhaps a predator bird has done that. huh. ~Mindy

LuLu said...

Oh my goodness, i'm so sorry. I knew grapes are toxic for dogs.... we all freak out when one falls on the ground... my kiddos love grapes. I'm so glad to hear your dog is going to be okay,
xo,
LuLu

Tricia said...

Oh my goodness! How scary about Lila. I'm so glad that she's okay.

FrouFrouBritches said...

Yes, grapes are BAAAAD for dogs - so are onions and obviously, raisins and The Loved Dog. So glad she is going to be okay. Poor baby!

I know NOTHING about birds, except how much I hate it when they start chirping outside my window at 5:00 a.m.! UGH!

Pat Harris said...

I'm glad your furry baby is fine. I used to give my dogs a few grapes when I would have them. Not any more. It sounds harsh but the Mother owl eats it all. Same for yours? Don't know.

Country Dreaming said...

Good to know--glad that everything worked out for the best!

Melinda

Mary Joy said...

This is my first visit to your blog. I love it! Your blog that is! I am SO sorry about your dog. I had no idea. I am so glad that she is feeling so much better. What a horrible way to learn that lesson! I am looking forward to following you and your blog. By the way...I added you to my blog roll! Just thought I would let you know. Would love for you to stop by and visit sometime...I'd be honored!

Janus said...

I was just bunny hopping around blogland and ran across your post about the birds. It looks like three of the eggs belonged to a brown-headed cowbird. They lay their eggs in other birds nests, hatch first and push the others out of the nest. Also most parent birds will take the eggs shells and deposited them elsewhere. Nature can be kinda gruesome. Glad to hear your dog is alright!

Mary Joy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I emailed you with response to your question but in case you haven't gotten it, I would love it! I emailed from my hubby's email because mine was acting up yesterday. Let me know if you didn't get it. I am SO excited!!!

Christina said...

Oh, I'm so glad that your dog is doing well. I didn't know about grapes being bad for dogs until recently. I'm so glad she is ok. We left some chocolate out one time and Max ate a lot of it. He had some tummy issues but thankfully he was ok. We are very careful now because I have heard that they love chocolate and once they taste it they want more.

I'm not sure about the baby birds.