Saturday, March 28, 2009

Souper Saturday---Chicken Tortilla

We haven’t had soup the last several Saturdays because it’s been so warm and spring-like.  Today was cold and rainy, and at one point there was actually snow in the forecast (!), so it was a good soup night.  It may very well turn out to be the last one of the 08-09 season.

I found this recipe online:

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 bunch cilantro, well washed (leaves only)
  • 2-3 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 1 small can of green chilies
  • 6 cups chicken stock/broth
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can tomatoes
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in a small amount of water
  • Corn tortillas (about 10) cut into thin strips
  • vegetable oil
  • 1-2 cups cooked chicken (2 oz. per serving)
  • Monterey Jack cheese (1 oz. per serving)
  • 1-2 avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
Preparation:
Puree cilantro, garlic, onion, chilies, and tomatoes in a blender or food processor. Heat stock and add pureed mixture into cumin and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 1 hour. Stir dissolved cornstarch into stock. Often I don't add the cornstarch since I like a thinner soup.

Fry tortillas in oil until crisp; drain well. Add chicken to stock and garnish with shredded cheese, tortilla strips, avocado, sour cream, salsa, or whatever else you prefer.

I just realized that I forgot the garlic.  I didn’t have avocados, corn tortillas, or jack cheese, and I used flour rather than cornstarch.  I served it topped with crushed tortilla chips and cheddar.

IMG_2494

This was excellent soup!  Pureeing the onions, tomatoes, cilantro and chilies was genius in my book.  I usually puree the chunky stuff anyway, and this just really melded all the flavors together.

Ratings:

  • Craig- 8
  • me- 8.5
  • Firstborn- 7.5
  • Skippy- 6
  • Pinkerbelle- 10

Average- 8  One of the most successful of the year!

1 comment:

Lucy Marie said...

Yum! That looks really good. I love cilantro so I'm sure I would really enjoy it. We had beautiful weather yesterday but I think you sent the rainy, cold weather our way today. Here's to hoping Soup-like Saturdays are gone until next Winter!