Friday, March 13, 2009

Springtime Palette

When I saw Julia’s post on Wednesday, I immediately recognized the first photo. That house was featured several years ago in a magazine that I have. A quick hunt revealed it was Better Homes and Gardens Home Planning Ideas Fall/Winter 2004.

image-10

I thought it would be fun to give an expanded tour for Hooked on Fridays (when you’re done here, be sure to visit over there). This home is located in Harbor Springs, Michigan on the northern shore of Lake Michigan. Another beach town, and you know I’m hooked on those!

The builders and owners are Rob and Vee Mossburg, and not only is it their home, but the first floor houses their business—The Cottage Co. of Harbor Springs. They built the structure to blend in with the neighboring buildings, and it is often mistaken for a renovation.

image-11

The floor plan shows that it is three stories. The second and third levels are the 3000 sq. ft. home.

image-16

One side of the living room.

image-13

Living room fireplace.

image-12

The kitchen. I’m not in love with the lavender color scheme here.

image-15

The dining area. The floral and green fabrics from the living room are repeated here.image-14

The next three photos are of the master bedroom and bath. Lavender again, although I like it better here. I love the toile chair.

image-17

image-18


This is apparently Rob’s side of the bathroom. I like the furniture piece turned vanity.

image-19

And this is their rooftop deck, complete with a grill, refrigerator, cabinets and countertop. Not to mention the view. Sweet.

image-20

This is certainly a lovely home, and offers a refreshing peek at some spring-like hues. But it is also very feminine. The quote on the photo of the toile chair says “I tried to achieve a balance throughout the room by juxtaposing feminine color and style with masculine scale” (Vee). According to the article, what that means is a “massively proportioned” bed, armoire and desk.

Obviously Rob was agreeable with the decor, but what do you think? Is big furniture enough to give pastels and florals a masculine edge? What would your hubby think?

Article credits: David Bradley (writer), Michael Partenio (photographer), Sandra L. Mohlmann (stylist)

19 comments:

Things That Inspire said...

I love seeing 'the rest of the story', and I must admit that I did not even think about the make inhabitant of the house. My husband is pretty easy going about decor, but I am not sure even he would go for such a feminine and floral scheme in the house. The man of the house must spend a lot of time on the rooftop deck!

gina said...

How divine! That porch/deck/VIEW is to die for! But the pastel decor is a bit too "feminine" even for my taste- never mind my husband. But then again I'm not a pastel-y type girl so it might work for people who do like pastels. I love the stainless steel counters on the deck!

Anonymous said...

Oh great, now I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard! ;)

Thx for sharing!

Susan

amariaf2000 said...

What a view!! What a beautiful home, too! Like you, I'm not totally digging lavender in the kitchen, but I'd still take it!
~angela @ peonypatch

Tiffany said...

I love that rooftop space. Oh the parties we could have!

Thanks for coming by! I'll look forward to seeing your bargains next week.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I am so glad you showed us the rest of this house! I had only seen the one room and had no idea there were all of these other amazing photos of it.

I have to say my husband wouldn't go for all the pinks and lavenders, but I love it. It's just so fresh looking.

Great post! Thanks! :-)

Anonymous said...

i think it's beautiful - but no way would my hubby go for all that white and lavender and florals!

i love the fireplaces best!

Jenny said...

I love it! Except the kitchen cabinets are too dark.

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Wow that is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely charming place! So many things I love about it - not the lavender kitchen but I know so many purple lovers that would!

Thanks for sharing!

Suzy said...

Thanks for sharing! I love the decor, but feel it is very lady-like. I really don't mind that kitchen either, but it wouldn't last in time. I love the view from the roof top......
Thanks for the visit too!

Lucy Marie said...

I like some of things they've done and some others, not so much. I am not a huge fan of pink or purple, so that rules out some of the colour schemes in that house. I'm pretty sure the husband would never go for that - let's just say we have lamps that have deer and tree silhouettes on them and I just recently convinced him to relocate the antlers from above his bedside table to the cabin and replace it will a sign with a cute phrase on it.

Anonymous said...

I just ADORE pink paired with green and a crisp white. Thanks for all the great pics...so fun and perfect for spring!

gena said...

I LOVE it ! I live in an 1850's victorian - " Lavender Hill" and you can guess the color of the house ! Inside and out my house is swathed in lavender, white, splashes of pink and powder blue. Even the kitchen is lavender with Violeta granite counters. Most of my furniture is cherry, and several bathrooms are white marble. The only exceptions are my son's rooms and baths.

I live in a house of men - 3 grown sons and a hubby. None of them could care less what color our living room, kitchen or any other room is. No one has ever complained about the frills, the lace or girly stuff. As a matter of fact, my oldest is getting married to a girl that loves pink as much as I love lavender. Their china pattern ? Similar to my lavender wedding china - but pink ! He thinks it's "sexy" !!!

My husband loves the colors - he says it is romantic and reminds him that the queen.... ahemmmm..... that would be me..... lives here !

gena said...

I LOVE it ! I live in an 1850's victorian - " Lavender Hill" and you can guess the color of the house ! Inside and out my house is swathed in lavender, white, splashes of pink and powder blue. Even the kitchen is lavender with Violeta granite counters. Most of my furniture is cherry, and several bathrooms are white marble. The only exceptions are my son's rooms and baths.

I live in a house of men - 3 grown sons and a hubby. None of them could care less what color our living room, kitchen or any other room is. No one has ever complained about the frills, the lace or girly stuff. As a matter of fact, my oldest is getting married to a girl that loves pink as much as I love lavender. Their china pattern ? Similar to my lavender wedding china - but pink ! He thinks it's "sexy" !!!

My husband loves the colors - he says it is romantic and reminds him that the queen.... ahemmmm..... that would be me..... lives here !

Decor To Adore said...

I am visiting via H.O.H. Great post!

I hope you'll stop by for a visit, I am hosting a giveaway.

Pam Kersting said...

I enjoyed reading what you shared with us abou the image I saw earlier on Hooked on Houses! When I first saw that living room, I thought to myself, what a feminine room! Now I see it is also quite a feminine house. Cute but not for me!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful house. I loved all of the details.

Tara @ Feels Like Home said...

Thanks for posting the photos. What a beautiful home!

I love bright colors, but I would also love to live in the frilly pastel perfection of that home, too. I like the toile and the way that everything is over decorated. I wonder who does the cleaning? :)