Friday, April 3, 2009

Looks like it’s gonna be a good crop this year, Vern.

Have you heard of growing wheatgrass? Some people do it for juicing purposes, and it’s supposed to be very good for you. I’d heard it was really easy to grow, and thought I’d try it, not for juicing, but just for “pretty”.

I got wheat berries in the bulk section of a health food store, put some potting soil in pots, sprinkled the berries on it, and watered. That was last Thursday afternoon, and when I got up Sunday morning it had sprouted. It continued to grow at a rapid pace; you could almost watch it happening!

Tuesday, 8:40 am:

IMG_2512

Tuesday, 4:00 pm. See the difference? IMG_2514

Wednesday, 3:20 pm. Holy cow!IMG_2523

Thursday, 9:00 pm. Time for a trim.IMG_2533

That’s better!IMG_2534

Well, I didn't get it straight. That's why Craig cuts the boys' hair and not me. But isn’t it pretty? I don’t know if it will continue to grow, and I’ll keep trimming it, or if I’ll have to plant a new crop.

This was seriously so easy. I just misted it with a spray bottle several times a day. It would be a fun project with kids, especially since it’s practically instant gratification.

(Just in case you’re wondering, my little pots came from Target Dollar Spot a few years ago, and I painted them with a strip of chalkboard paint.)

I’m joining Julia’s Hooked on Friday party today; see what others are hooked on over there.

15 comments:

Mrs. Petrie said...

What a fun idea! I love the tins with chalkboard paint.

gina said...

I bought those tins for my sister. :) Love the chalkboard paint idea. I always wanted to try growing grass inside- I'll have to try it.

Courtney said...

So cute! I might just have to try this! Do you have them sitting in a window?

Anonymous said...

A great way to add a little greenery to a home! Cute little tins!

Jenelle said...

I always see little pots of wheatgrass in the produce section at the grocery store. I don't want them for juicing, either. I want them for "pretty" like you! I've just been too scared that I'll kill them as soon as I get them home. Maybe I'll try it out with my newfound confidence from your post!

Shannon said...

That is so pretty! I can see that in a long rectangle wooden box down the center of the table for Easter dinner. With some dyed eggs. :) I love this! Those buckets are so cute!!

Rue said...

Hi Holly :)

I've been thinking of growing some wheat grass myself and I love how cute these are, so I think I will :)

rue

Fifi Flowers said...

That is AMAZING!!! FUN... I will have to do this for one of my sons... he loves to grow things and this is sooooo easy and fast!
THanks for sharing!
Fifi

Melissa said...

I love this, Holly! Love the title as well. :) I've been wanting to try this and this is perfect timing for your inspiration!!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Those look super fun - my kids would love to do this.

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

We love growing grasses - especially for our Easter baskets! Love these in the tins - great idea!!
Karla & Karrie

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

How fun! The grass is very pretty, isn't it?

Bonita said...

I'm glad you posted this. I have a friend who is recovering from a bout with cancer and she drinks wheatgrass drinks about three times a day. She's been buying it in small palettes from someone, but I don't think she realizes how easy it is to grow.

Kimberly @ Raising Olives said...

We grind our own wheat so have wheat berries on hand. I am so gonna let the children plant them in the morning. That is amazing!

Thanks for your ideas about vacationing. I love hearing about new destinations and St. Louis would be possible for us.

Blessings,
Kimberly

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

The tins are great! And wooooowe on how quickly the grass grows!! Certainly not like watching paint dry.