Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dropcloth Upholstery

I had another big project I wanted to tackle while Wendy was here. (Before I go any further, I just want to let you know that my sister Laurie is also very capable, and a fabulous remodeler and decorator. She, however, was only here 3 days, while Wendy was here for over a week, so there wasn't really enough time to put her to work.)

So, the project was a pair of chairs. They were actually waiting room chairs from one of Craig’s offices, and somehow we ended up with two.

IMG_2839p 050They’ve been knocking around the house for several years, not really going with anything, and I have been planning to make slipcovers for them. I thought Wendy could help me figure it out. As it turned out, she had just reupholstered a very similar chair of her own, and ripped right into these.

As luck would have it, these were much harder to take apart than hers was. These were put together very well. It was taking so long that Firstborn even offered to help.IMG_3475 I spray-painted and distressed the arms and legs, but after that I must confess that I didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to the reconstruction process. I know she used the blue fabric as a pattern for cutting the dropcloth, and that she made welting. Then she tucked, and stapled, and glued. Here is the result.1127080937

Look at the nice corner, and the finished look the welting gives.1127080934

On the back, she used upholstery tacks.1127080935

Aren’t they loverly? Left to my own devices, I may have been able to come up with some kind of slipcover, but I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t have turned out this well.1127080931

As for using the dropcloth fabric for this project, it’s sturdy, and it’s cheap. A 9x6 cloth was $9.49 at Lowe’s. That’s 3 yards of 72” wide fabric; typical home decorator fabric is 54” wide. That’s just over $3/yd for extra wide fabric. Can’t beat that!

Don’t forget that tomorrow I’m going to start up Thrift Store Thursday again! I’ve got a couple of really cool things to show you that I found on my thrifting trip with my sisters. I hope you’ll link up with your fabulous finds!

22 comments:

Pam said...

Your drapes and chairs turned out FABULOUSLY! I can't believe the difference in those chairs! Awesome!

Lucy Marie said...

Those chairs look great. I'm working on a chair project of my own but it's nothing compared to what some of you other ladies do.

Rebekah said...

LOVE it! I have plans to reupholster a hideous loveseat that we have using canvas dropcloths sometime in the near future. If it turns out half as great as that chair, I'll be thrilled. I'm going the hot glue/staples route, too, rather than sewing. It's getting to the point where my entire house is being held together with hot glue, staples and safety pins...

Lindy said...

I love it! You have two fabulous sisters!

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS!!!!!

dixie said...

Amazing. I am going to somehow bribe your sister to come to my house for a week. Just you wait...somehow I am going to figure out how to do it.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

They look a-mazing! The three of you sisters must be a force to reckon with. ;) I couldn't find a $20 or less drop cloth at Lowe's to save my life, but I did find a nice one for $8.99 at Wal-Mart. I used it for a table cloth and now I need a new use for it. :)

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

What a great idea! I love the chairs!!!!

southerninspiration said...

Those are fantabulous!! Ya'll rock! Can she come do mine?????? LOL...


suzanne

Cass @ That Old House said...

That is simply stunning; I love the use of the drop cloths. And when you tire of them, just use them as -- well, drop cloths -- to repaint the chairs!

Gorgeous!
Cass

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Holly: These look fabulous!! Love'em!!

I am thinking about taking an upholstery class this fall. I really want to know how to do this!!

Lou Cinda :)

Gwen said...

The chairs look so great and the details that she did are beautiful!

Elaine said...

Wow! The chairs look wonderful! You've given me some great ideas! :)

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

You have to love the $ and the outcome of Drop cloths.. The chairs are Fan-Tabulous!!!!!Very professional! Just found your blog and have enjoyed my visit, Syop in anytime xoxo~Kathy@ Sweet Up-North Mornings..

Laura @ The Steen Style said...

What a great idea!! Those look so good and I love the tacks in the back!!

Lorie said...

Beautiful! I am going to post a link to this on my blog!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

These are incredible! I'm so incredibly impressed. I would not have the gumption to even attempt to recover those babies. But wow, what an incredible difference.

I had bought drop cloths for drapes but wasn't too crazy about them after they went up. Mine were more yellow than the whitey beige color I've seen online. But I had been thinking of using them to recover my dining room chairs. Glad to see that the fabric works!

Tricia said...

A.MA.ZING!! They are gorgeous!!! Love the nailhead trim. Beautiful.
XO*Tricia

A Southern Rose said...

Your chairs look great! They look so much better!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Those look so good - totally professional. I love them.

Infarrantly Creative said...

came over from Be Different Act Normal. I love it...you did a great job. I bought two chairs at a yard sale today that I am doing to try to reupholster. I am scared though...wish me luck. I would love for you to visit me. I have lots of tutes and stuff also.

Marie said...

Hello Holly - I love what you did with the chairs! What a great idea to reupholster them with drop cloths. I just hung a pair of them in my school room and love the look. Who would have ever thought they'd be used in decor? Thank you for sharing!

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com