Monday, December 14, 2009

Thrifty Gifty #13—Spa Salt Scrub


After seeing it on several blogs, I picked up some epsom salt at Dollar Tree a couple weeks ago to use as “snow”, so I had some sitting around and at some point it occurred to me to make a salt scrub.

I discovered a whole bunch of “recipes” on the web, and no two of them were alike, so I just decided to wing it.

I used safflower oil, because Walmart didn’t have sunflower, and I didn’t want the olive oil smell. I think you really could use any kind of oil you wanted to, although I did see a couple warnings not to use mineral or baby oil (clogs pores or something).

IMG_4944

I got the epsom salt and sea salt at Dollar Tree. This sea salt is very fine; I was expecting it to be a little coarser. Again, I think you can use any combo of salts you like. (As an aside: I don’t think I’d really want to use sea salt from San Francisco Bay for food purposes, but maybe that’s just me.)

IMG_4943

With no hard and fast rules to be found, I just filled the jar with salt and added oil until the consistency seemed right. Essential oil can be used for scent. I tried pure vanilla extract, which is not the same as essential oil, and I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it.

IMG_4948

This one is just a mock-up for this post. I’ve decided to make this for teacher gifts, so I’m going to head to Hobby Lobby to look for some nice jars (with my 40% off coupons, of course), and I think I’ll include a vintage spoon. I was going to search the thrift stores for jars, but decided it would be easier at this point just to go where I know I’m going to find what I need.

I’m also going to pick up some real essential oil at the health food store. I saw one person who used vanilla and orange for a Creamsicle scent. Doesn’t that sound yummy? Lavender would also be nice. Some people add a little food coloring too.

So, there are a lot of variables here, but the basic ingredients are just a few dollars. I think it will make a fun and appreciated teacher gift!


DIY Day @ ASPTL

6 comments:

Cindy said...

I love making sugar/salt scrubs. Since I make cold process soap from scratch, I have all manner of ingredients to choose from. I usually add finely grated soap to mine with a touch of tocopherols (vit e) along with essential oil blends (almond is my fave!)

My daughter in law loves this stuff. Great teacher gift!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Holly this looks like a great "recipe", and would be fun to make. What a very special gift it would make for a girlfriend.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I LOVE how you put it all together...the little scoop is too cute! :) A friend just gifted me with a brown sugar/olive oil scrub. :)

heidi said...

Nice idea! Really makes me want to do a salt scrub right now... :-)

Pam said...

I keep a sugar scrub that is very similar to this in my shower all the time. I love it. This would make a very nice teacher gift.

Also, my Hob Lob carries essential oil in the soap/candle making section. You may want to check yours out while you're there and save yourself a trip - and maybe some extra $. I used one of my 40%off coupons on mine.

Have a good day!
Pam

spagirlgreene said...

as a self-confessed spa addict i just love to see some 'homemade' spa goody ideas. your presentation is very pretty indeed!
:)