Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thrifty Gifty #7—Monogrammed Vases

Joining Works for me Wednesday at We Are THAT Family and Rustoleum Revamp at Shanty2Chic.

Shanty 2 Chic

Reminder: the first Thrifty Gifty linky party is this Friday! Show off your super inexpensive gift ideas, or something you’ve made using my ideas. Use the code from my sidebar to get my button.


For this one you will need vases or other glassware. Naturally, I got mine at the thrift store for about $1 each. You will also need Frosted Glass Spray; I used Rustoleum (useless trivia: did you know that Rustoleum was invented by a sea captain who noticed that fish oil prevented rust, and he was going to call it Fish-oleum until his wife stepped in?).

I used a craft knife to cut my letters out of contact paper.
IMG_4797IMG_4798
I sprayed too close and too heavy the first time, and the contact paper bubbled up and the spray seeped under. On the other vase, I did a better job, and this method worked fine.
IMG_4799
I used nail polish remover to wipe that off, and started over, this time in negative. If you’re doing it this way, it would be easier to use premade stickers, rather than cut out your own like I did.
IMG_4802
Spray lightly a few times, let it dry, and carefully peel off the stickers. Fabulousness!
IMG_4807
Wanna see it again? Yes, I think you do.
IMG_4813
If you look closely, you can see that a little bit of the frost peeled up with the sticker on the bar of the A. Be really careful, and maybe even use your craft knife to slice along the edge of the sticker before you peel it up.
IMG_4811

I think mine are a pretty good facsimile of these from Pottery Barn, except instead of $19-$44, I spent under $2 each.


You can, of course, put anything you want on any kind of jar. How about “yum” on a treat jar, or similar labels on pantry jars, like Martha’s.
The spray says you can handwash with liquid soap and water, but don’t use the dishwasher. The frost comes off with acetone, and I was able to scrape it with my fingernail so it’s definitely “for display only”. But it looks good!

28 comments:

Ali @ His Birdie's Nest said...

I am in love with this idea :) Totally something I'd want as a gift and totally something I can make. THANKS!

Miss Obara said...

I love a look-a-like and this one is fabulous! great job.

Wendy said...

Easy and pretty ~ love it!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

LOVE it!!! This would be perfect for my sister, who just got married in Sept. She is into monogrammed stuff now. :)

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

It looks so beautiful!!!

Charlene said...

The vases look great! Good job! I may attempt these after the holidays...they'd make great birthday gifts for my girlfriends.

Jocelyn said...

Oh my goodness Holly, these are beautiful. You are SO creative!

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

Amber said...

Love them! I tried to do something like this but was having issues--now I know why! I need to use contact paper. I just taped down some regular paper to my jars. Gotta love Pottery Barn knock-offs!

Anna said...

your vase turned out great

Cass @ That Old House said...

Wonderful and inspired! Our local Dollar Tree has fabulous clear glass cylinder vases... I'm going to try this!
Cass

Melinda said...

I like the type of container you
used--you don't see many square containers.

Great Job!

Melinda

Diamonds Pearls and Crazy in the world of Barbie Jones said...

O yes Holly!!!!! I believe I have found my household gifts! Every Family get's one!!!! FABULOUS!!!! I LOVE IT! I'm not that percise with my exacto knife soooo i will be headed to Michaels for stickers this weekend! Thanks babe! I HEART THIS!

Sewing-Chick said...

Splendid! You did a really nice job. I especially love the negative :)

becky said...

VERY cute idea!! I love it! :)

Wishes and Whimsy said...

I really love this idea--and hey, those are my initials! :) I have the spray, gotta get the vases!

Pam said...

I am DEFINITELY going to being re-creating this project!

Jen said...

Great idea - I have used Glass etching stuff - but this is a lot less messy...

gina said...

hey, even I can do that!! Great idea!!

The Halbert Home said...

That is a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing!

Jane said...

Beautiful! So glad there's a way around the PB prices for the rest of us!

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Love these!! And it takes all the pain out of using the etching cream! They are so cute! Thanks for linking up!
~Whitney

momof3girls said...

Woo Hoo!! I have all the things required to make this project just sitting in my craft closet waiting for such a cute suggestion!Thank you!!!

Gina Sisco said...

OMG, I love that vase. I love me some thrifty gifts!! I am a new follower. Keep up the good work!

The Soladay Family said...

I am ALL over this project! It would be perfect with hubby's and my monogram, and a perfect spot to display all our sentimental wine corks!! Love it!

Carli-Made by Carli said...

Really cute! I wonder if I'm adventurous enough to try this?

Sierra said...

where did you get the contact paper? i've looked twice at walmart and hobby lobby...at hobby lobby all they had was decorative contact paper...meaning that it was way more expensive than normal.
thanks!
-sierra
http://creativekdesigns.blogspot.com

Holly said...

For Sierra: it's been a while since I bought the paper...I've probably had the roll a couple years. I am absolutely certain, though, that it was purchased at a regular chain store. Most likely Walmart, but could have been Target, Lowes, or Home Depot. Slim possibility, Walgreens.

Paige said...

I don't know how I missed this in December, but I LOVE it. I think I can do this and they would make fabulous gifts!