Monday, May 24, 2010

Sarah's House is Farm-tabulous!

Several months ago, you may recall, I became enamored with Sarah Richardson.  Her shows about rehabbing and decorating houses in Ontario hit the airwaves on HGTV Canada, and eventually make their way across the border to us.  (BTW, I discovered that HGTV Canada will not allow episodes to be played on non-Canadian computers.  What's up with that?  Or is it just my computer?  Anybody else have any luck?)

Anyway, she's back this spring with a century-old farmhouse some 3 hours outside of Toronto.  I loved her other houses, but this one makes me green with envy.


Growing up in Ontario, I saw hundreds of similar farmhouses, and it holds a certain nostalgia for me.  In fact, my original blog header used a photo of an old Ontario farmhouse, though that one wasn't brick.  I do love the brick, and look at the detail here:  the decorative line around the house and arch above the rounded-top windows.  You just don't see that these days.

Sarah gutted the entire house, and also added an addition that doubled the size, which meant that she could then use a huge portion of the original first floor just for the kitchen.  The island itself is 5ftx9ft.


The cabinets are from Ikea, then custom spray-lacquered.
.

Her use of modern amenities with vintage touches keeps the kitchen looking fresh, but farm-house appropriate.  She refinished the original wood floors, and in this photo, the corbels are architectural salvage, and the pendant light is vintage mercury glass.


At the end of the island is this little seating area.  I don't think I need to tell you how much I love that old lunch sign.


Quite possibly one of my favorite features is the staircase off the kitchen. Love the painted runner and the fun use of address numbers.



My son saw these photos and said "are we doing that to the kitchen?".  I wish, my child.  I wish!
And just wait til you see her mudroom!

15 comments:

1 Funky Woman said...

I love her, I'd love to watch her shows! Those kitchen chairs are darling!
Ah, that painted runner, I want one!

Gayle said...

Thanks for tellin us about Sarah - I've never heard of her before, but now my DVR is all set up to record her programs - it will be nice to have something GOOD to watch on HGTV for once!

Karen said...

I love, love, love Sarah. The farmhouse reno is a dream of mine that will ... in all likelihood never happen........so I live vicariously through Sarah right now..... I can dream!!!
She is one of my favorites!!!!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Ooo---I love her Kitchen. You're right. That sign is fabulous!

Love the Decor! said...

Love watching her show and what she does never disappoints!!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Thanks for reminding me about Sarah. I'll now be watching the show. I love her style!

Donna

Leah said...

OH WOW..thank you for posting this...when we move (we really want to live in a barn, sigh, but probably won't be able to) i'm going to redo everything in farmhouse white..this is PERFECT inspiration!!!

Nicole @ the style hatch said...

I have the kitchen episode still saved on dvr. Actually I watched it twice last night! My favorite episode!

Nicole

Jessica said...

I'd love to watch! But, since I live in Australia, not even the US HGTV will let episodes be played here on my computer. :-( Some copyright law, I think. I've watched some HGTV on Youtube, but there isn't very much on there.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

All I can say is WOW!! So beautiful. I would die for a kitchen like that. Love & blessings from NC!

Unknown said...

Darn those international barriers! We have the same problem up here watching online clips from any US station. Sucks!

Journey said...

It's so charming!!!! I love the sitting area with the lunch sign........

Stephanie said...

I just found your blog and I have to say...I loove the stairs, I SO want to do this and I love the sitting area with the lunch sign too!

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

I havent seen all the rooms she's done so far (on the show itself) but I love the yellow bathroom she did!

your-sister-laurie said...

It was just "May 2-4" long weekend, otherwise known as Victoria Day Week end up here in Canada, and they had Sarah's farmhouse marathon showing back to back episodes on HGTV here. Not sure how long I watched...but I saw the final episode...sigh. We obviously share a genetic love for old farmhouses!