Thursday, May 6, 2010

Smooth Operator

Have you tried Smooth Away?  I'm a pretty skeptical person, particularly of As Seen on TV type stuff, so even though it looked interesting, I wasn't going to waste my money on it.  I checked the reviews, too, and they weren't great, which only reinforced my position.


Then a couple of weeks ago at Target, I noticed that the price had gone down from $9.99 to $4.99, and I decided to give it a try.  (Incidentally, shortly after I purchased it, I saw a coupon for either $2 or $3 off.  I can't remember if it was in the Sunday fliers or a magazine, or how long it was valid for, but I though I'd just let you know it's out there in case you're interested.)

I was a little bit surprised to find that it actually works.....in a manner of speaking.  I need to throw out some disclaimers here.  I only used it on my legs, and only from the knee down.  It had probably been 2-3 days since I shaved, and the hair on my legs is light and fine.  I cannot vouch for dark or coarse leg hair, or for any other area of the body.  (I recently discovered that my dad reads my blog from time to time, and I feel weird mentioning any of those other areas by name.)



I thought the pink things, which according to the website are actually just called the large or small Smooth Away, would be flexible to sort of mold to the shape of the leg or other body part.  But they're quite rigid; it seemed like you'd get more contact area if they were flexible.  The gray pads stick to the pink things, and are kind of like very, very fine sandpaper.  ETA:  I'm going to amend this because 'sandpaper' isn't quite accurate, and may be off-putting.  There is an extremely fine texture to the gray pads, but it's not going cause abrasions or anything like that.

Just buff in a circular motion, both directions.  My legs were indeed smooth, and it exfoliated at the same time.  I used lotion afterward.  The first time I used it, I did have a slight razor burn feeling, but haven't had it since.  It's not going to replace a razor for me, but it'll be handy for in between touch-ups.

Just thought you might be interested, in case you're a skeptic like me.


10 comments:

Angie Holden said...

I am totally skeptic about this product. But on the other hand I wanna throw one in my cart!! Thanks for the first hand experience!

Mrs Anne said...

one time i was at a friends and she had it, so of course i tried it. it worked... :)

crazy huh?

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Thanks, Holly! I actually won one of those as a gag gift back at Christmastime and haven't tried it. It may still be in my car's trunk (blushing). Thanks for the review. :)

Melissa said...

Thanks for sharing your experience. Like you, I'm always skeptical about those As Seen on TV products, and even more so since I tried a floor-cleaning product that was absolutely worthless.

I cringed, though, when you compared the surface to sandpaper. Sounds painful to me!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting your experience, I've been wondering about them since they came out! If I can find one for 4.99 I'd be willing to give it a whirl too. Swimsuit season is coming up soon! :)

Amber said...

I hated them! They made my legs break out and it actually looked like I had taken sand paper to my legs (think a lot of raw red patches). I'm always jealous when I hear others can use them so easily.

Unknown said...

I tried them and didn't have much success. Wound up taking it back to the store.

Cass @ That Old House said...

They do work... sort of. But it takes so long! At least I thought so, but then I am chronically lazy.

Your dad reads your blog? That cracked me up -- I can go one better than that ... my FATHER IN LAW reads mine. Yikes.
Cass

lindyb said...

I had a college roommate over ten years ago that swore by these! Did you know they'd been around for so long?

Tonia Lee Smith said...

I've always wondered if this thing worked. Thanks for the tip...and your father reads your blog?