Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Free Home Reserve Chair Is Here!

Background:  I blogged about Home Reserve furniture a couple weeks ago, and had a couple of comments from readers whose experience with it was not great {post here}.  I also had a comment from the president of the company offering me a free chair to try it out for myself {post here}!

I looked through the website and choose several fabrics I was interested in, and Sandy, the customer service rep,  overnighted the swatches to me.  I ordered the chair on Monday Sept. 13 and yesterday afternoon it arrived on my doorstep.  That’s an eight day turnaround; pretty quick considering they cut out the fabric specifically for you and don’t work weekends. 

IMG_6446 

Everything was vacuum-packed into this one box.

IMG_6449

The hardware was bagged and labeled; there were even some extras enclosed.  In addition, they  included a pair of gloves and a sanding block in case there were any rough edges.  We only used it once.

IMG_6460

All the wooden parts are very visibly numbered.

IMG_6455

The instructions were easy to follow, and all the parts fit very well and without too much effort.

IMG_6461

Craig did most of the assembly, and he was extremely impressed with how well everything fit.  The video says the parts are computer cut with 20/1000 of an inch tolerances!  They fit together like a puzzle, and all the holes for the screws were positioned correctly.

IMG_6478 IMG_6479

From the look of the wood, you might think it’s not very strong, but this is not cheap particle board.  From the website:

“The frames are made from aspen, an engineered wood panel of the type that builders use on houses. We’ve had our products tested in a laboratory and everything carries a five-year warranty. Very rigid and solid, our sofa will support over 2,000 pounds.”

I should mention, however, that 3 of the 4 arm sides did have a break in this very narrow area.  It was not a support piece, though, and in fact once assembled was itself supported by the piece that fit in it.  The warranty says they will send out replacement parts if anything breaks during the 5 yr period, but I’m not concerned that this will have any affect on performance.  (Update:  Sandy contacted me and offered to replace these pieces.  I didn’t accept because I really didn’t think it was an issue, and she assured me that any time during the 5 year warranty I can get replacements if I choose.)

IMG_6464 IMG_6470

Assembled arms (upside down) and frame:

IMG_6482 IMG_6485

The fabric pieces were conveniently packaged in the order called for in the instructions.  While snug, they were not difficult to put on.  Though not technically a slipcover, you can take the fabric off for cleaning (some are machine washable, but not all) and can order new cover sets to change your furniture’s look.

IMG_6489

Well, this is really long, so I’m going to save the final reveal and review for tomorrow.  Up until this point, I give Home Reserve an A for fast delivery, packaging, engineering and ease of assembly.

Tomorrow:  the final product!

For a 3-minute video on how it’s all made and packaged, go here and click on the How We Make Your Sofa video on the top right.

5 comments:

Mrs Mary Joy Pershing said...

Oh Holly, very cool! I love it! What a neat way to put it together...puzzle piece approach. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Richella Parham said...

My goodness, Holly, looks like they make a quality product! I'm interested to see the final product and hear what you think about it. I love the idea of passing along some of the assembly--and the associated savings--along to the customer. But of course I want to know how it looks! Looking forward to your next post.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I am very interested to see how the final product looks. :) I am always impressed by quick shipping!

FrouFrouBritches said...

YEA! That was super quick! I can't wait to see how it all turns out tomorrow! I'm dying to know if it's comfy.

Miss Molly M said...

I think you should also review the chair again in a few months and then a year. it seems great at first, but it loses its appeal quickly. Again, they may have great customer service, easy assembly, etc, but they only post positive reviews on their site, which is false advertising. I wasn't that upset about the couch to start with, but now that my review was deleted I'm quite upset. I bought the couch because they only had wonderful reviews, but it was censored!!