Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Christmas Wreaths

We usually start the Christmas decorating Thanksgiving weekend.  When I was a kid we didn’t put up the tree until about a week before Christmas, so Thanksgiving always seemed a little recklessly early to me.  But now that the commercial Christmas season starts around Halloween, or even sooner, I guess I’m on the later end of the spectrum.

This year, I was thinking I need to change up my front door wreath.  For the last 3 or 4 years, I’ve had this.  I like it okay, but it’s just time for a change.

xmas 007

So, I went to the Better Homes and Gardens website to look for inspiration.  And look what I found!  Their snowflake wreath bears a striking resemblance to mine, no?

snowflake

But I still want something different, so I kept looking.  I lean more toward a wreath with traditional bones.  The Bountiful Beauty has a pretty nature-inspired look.

bountiful

The Satin Cuff wreath is traditional without being boring or stuffy.

satin

 

The Peppermint Twist is fun, though I’m not sure that it would survive damp weather outside, and if I hung it inside, I think it would gradually be denuded of many of its candy canes by my 3 elves.

candy

I think I saw several versions of this type of Sparkling Ornament wreath on the blogs last year.  It’s fun and fabulous!

ornament

But I love this Wild Berry wreath!  It’s fresh and woodsy and still has sparkle.  This one just went to the top of my list.

berry

You never know what I’ll end up with, though.  I’ve got a lot more inspiration to comb through.  

What do you hang on your front door for the holidays?

9 comments:

Paula@SweetPea said...

Last year I made a giagantic ornament monogram wreath for my front door. I am sure that I'll use that again this year.

Unknown said...

You chose well. That'd be my pick, too.

FrouFrouBritches said...

Love the ornament wreath and the peppermint wreath too. So cute!

I have a grapevine wreath with a stuffed Santa holding a list that I usually use. I may have to make something different this year though. If I get around to it. Love your wreath from last few year though. Very cute!

Mrs Mary Joy Pershing said...

Holly,

I love your wreath with the snowflakes...and the others are all very pretty. But I would have to agree with you...I LOVE the last one! Its a winner! I may have to figure out a version of it for our front door!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Blessings!

Mary Joy

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

The BHG wreath looks almost exactly like yours. I like all of the wreaths you've posted here. I am going to try to make a more whimsical wreath this year instead of the more tradtional one I normally use. :)

Lisa said...

Loving that snowflake one!

I made one of those ornament wreaths in fun colors last year so I'm going to put that up with my Happy Hanukkah sign on top : ) Gotta mix it up since we celebrate both!

Iris @ Treasuring the Journey said...

I like your snowflake wreath, but understand the desire for change. This year I am going to attempt to make the Sparkling Ornament wreath. I have been stockpiling all colors, sizes, and finishes of ornaments on my thrift store excursions. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Will post my creation whenever I get around to making it! ~Iris~

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Your snowflakes are beautiful!! I need to change things up a bit. I have a neat wreath with a large red cardinal in the center, but he's looking a bit too faded for my tastes....

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I like the last one best too. I have one like that but the berries go soggy in the rain - not a good look!!

I'm going on a wreath-making course in a couple of days. I'M SO EXCITED!!

I've been a couple of times before but this time, I'll take photos!!

Sarahx