Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fun Project: Print Your Own Wrapping Paper

A couple of weeks ago, Pinkerbelle had a birthday party to attend, and it wasn’t until the last minute that I realized I didn’t have any appropriate wrapping paper for the gift.  I did have a roll of plain white, but that seemed a little boring.

So, I got out some of my rubber stamps and ink, and let P. create a pattern on the white paper.  Because I’m a control freak, I guided her use of colors and stamps, otherwise it would have been a complete mish-mash.  Though I guess there’s nothing really wrong with that.

IMG_6720 .

We did purple and green polka dots, with lavender “It’s Your Day” interspersed throughout.  I sold most of my stamps on ebay a few years ago, so I didn’t have too many available choices.

IMG_6719

Nevertheless, tied up with a purple ribbon (didn’t take a photo), it made a cute package, and P. was proud of her work.

IMG_6718

I have done this a few times in the past; once when Firstborn was a preschooler, I let him run the wheels of his toy cars in paint and roll them across brown mailing paper.  It was perfect for his little car-loving friend’s birthday gift.  Another time I used a 1/2” paint brush and blue paint to paint a gingham design on white paper for a small baby shower gift.

It’s fun and unique.  It would be a great little project for the kids to design wrapping paper for a few special Christmas gifts.  You could use ideas similar to mine, make potato stamps, hand prints, finger print characters a la Ed Emberley… the possibilities are endless.

Have fun!

5 comments:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Cute!! I love the polka dots. :) I can see my girls going nuts with that project!

Anonymous said...

We do this to plain white lunch bags, using bingo markers to make the dots. Cute, quick, easy, cheap, and fun!

Richella Parham said...

This is a great idea, Holly, and the finished product looks wonderful! By the way, your daughter is a doll!

Tricia said...

Cute idea. I just saw something where the person used celery, cut in half, to stamp roses on paper.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

What a sweet mummy you are, Holly, to let your daughter do that.

And the paper looks gorgeous.

Sarahx