Monday, January 5, 2009

Knit Wit

I finished up my two knitting projects today. First is Skippy's scarf; he did quite a bit of the knitting himself. He looks quite happy with the way it turned out.

Second is my scarf, made with Pooch yarn. This yarn was a little more challenging to work with, as it didn't have too much stretch, and the nubby texture tended to get caught on itself. That's not to say it was difficult, however. Far from it.

You know how some people can toss on a scarf and it makes their whole outfit, and it gives them an air of being so cool and chic? I'm not one of those people. I don't know why, but I do not look cool in a scarf. On the other hand, again for unknown reasons, almost any hat looks good on me. But hats are never in style.

There was some interest expressed in the knitting looms, so I thought I'd share some info. I used the circle Knifty Knitter looms by Provocraft. The set of 4 is about $12 at Walmart, and about $15 at Michael's, which would make it about $9 with the 40% off coupon.

There are several other types of looms, including these long looms. They are $20 at Michael's (haven't seen them at Walmart), and I got them last week with the 50% off coupon, but I haven't used them yet.

Both of the scarves were knit as a flat panel on the circle looms, the orange scarf on the blue loom, the Pooch scarf on the red loom. They both were knit using the garter stitch. I found a really great tip for the garter stitch on Isela Phelps' blog, The Purling Sprite. She appears to be the queen of loom knitting. I also have one of her books out of the library: Loom Knitting Primer.

Some other helpful sites:
Loom Knitting Help
Ravelry
a list of loom knitting blogs
loom knitting patterns

There's a lot more info on the web; just google it. Also check Amazon for several more books on the topic. Hopefully this will help you get started.

The next project I (may) attempt is a felted bag from Loom Knitting Primer. I bought the wool today, 1/2 off at Michael's this week. We shall see....


No comments: