Saturday, January 17, 2009

Souper Saturday

Handsome is at an all-day continuing education course today, so it was just me and the kids for supper. Yesterday as I was on the mend, I started craving that really yummy homemade chicken noodle we had a few weeks ago. Problem was, there was no leftover roasted chicken.

Instead, I boiled a couple frozen chicken breasts and added all the other usual stuff (onion, carrots, celery, etc), and proceeded as last time from there. I knew that the broth made from boiling boneless, skinless chicken breasts would not be anywhere near the real deal. I added a can of chicken broth to it, but it was still mediocre.

The kids didn't seem to notice the difference, and were happy to eat the soup. I could definitely tell, and was vastly underimpressed. Maybe, maybe, it would've been improved if I had had a good chicken soup base to add instead of just canned broth. But I'm thinkin' that if you really want a chicken broth that'll stand on it's own, it's gotta have bones (so to speak). Here endeth the lesson.


Oh, and I feel I must confess...the first photo of my kitchen in yesterday's post was taken before we moved in. That's not how it looks every day; but neither is the second photo!

No comments: