Saturday, January 3, 2009

Souper Saturday--Taco Soup

Handsome requested taco soup tonight. There is an abundance of taco soup recipes available, most of them fairly similar. Here's my fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants version.

1 can kidney beans, undrained
1 can chili beans, undrained
2 cans diced tomatoes, pureed
2 cups beef broth
about 1/2 cup cooked ground beef (had it in the freezer; normally I would use more)
1 can of corn
taco seasoning
ranch dressing mix

I didn't have a packet of taco seasoning, so used chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, oregano, paprika and salt and pepper. I did happen to have half a packet Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix, which I didn't really want to use anymore since I realized it has MSG. But I also didn't want to take the trouble right now to find a clone recipe to try to approximate it, so I dumped it in.

Ratings:
Handsome 8.5
Me 7
Firstborn 5
Skippy 8
Pinkerbelle 3

Average 6.3

It was good, but I thought it lacked just a little something, I'm guessing because I did not use actual taco seasoning. Here's a recipe for making your own to keep on hand (it's the one I used to guesstimate the spices I put in the soup, but I didn't follow quantities); I think I'll give it a try. It's probably cheaper than packets, and no mystery ingredients.

1 comment:

Rob and Deanna said...

I just made this soup yesterday. So yummy!! I add a can of Ro-Tel, makes it spicy also I put in about 1/2 c. regular Hidden Valley Ranch dressing too. It was so good. Probably wouldn't want to let it boil after putting in the ranch. We add cheese, sour cream & chips at the table for the extra fat. ;-)