Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Book Recommendation

One of the blogs I visit occasionally often gives books reviews and recommendations. Heidi at Mt. Hope Chronicles is a homeschooling mother with three adorable boys who are voracious readers. She also takes fantastic photos; her blog is well worth the visit.

Some time ago I saw her review of The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry. I got it from the library, intending to read it aloud over the kids’ spring break, but didn’t get around to it. I sort of forgot about it, until I stumbled on the audiobook version.willougbys This past week, we listened to it while driving, and we all enjoyed it immensely. I would never dissuade anyone from reading a book, but Arte Johnson is such an excellent reader and story-teller that I would urge you to do both. It’s tagged for ages 9-12, but it’s just as entertaining for adults.

This book is a parody of “old fashioned” stories, the kind that I liked best as a child! Stories such as Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, the Bobbsey Twins. There’s a baby left on the doorstep, orphaned children, a rich old benefactor, a nanny…all the “old fashioned” elements put into one story.

But this is meant to be humorous. It is irreverent. If you wouldn’t be able to see the silliness, the ridiculousness, of children who want to be orphans, and parents who have a light-bulb moment after reading Hansel and Gretel, then this may not be the book for you.

The rest of us will get several good snickers out of it!

6 comments:

Pam said...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check this one out.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh, I know I'll love it! :) Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun book. I loved those old fashioned stories as a kid.

Becky said...

I've not read this particular book, but I have read "The Giver" trilogy by Lowry. I really enjoyed the books and think they're definitely worth checking out.

Heidi said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one! Lowry's The Giver is one of my favorite books (though for the late middle school/high school crowd). The Willoughby's departs so drastically from the style and theme of The Giver... it completely surprised me that the author could pen such contrasting books, though both are brilliantly written. *I* certainly got several snickers out of it. :)

Christina said...

We haven't read this one, so I'll have to check it out. Love her books. Have you all read "Number the Stars?" I need to pull out "The Giver" for my son. He loves to read, but I have to constantly pick them out and hand them to him--then he will read and enjoy. My daughter will peruse the books shelves for herself.

While we never discourage reading a book either, we are huge audio book fans. It is such a gift to be able to hear wonderful books while driving, cleaning and for my son, who is constantly building w/legos and his Mindstorm robot. He always has a book going while building. I love that.