Wednesday, June 3, 2009

WFMW—Popsicle Recipes

WFMW blog

This week’s Works for Me is the “Mom, I’m Bored” Summer Edition. Considering that this was the first day of summer vacation for us, and I’ve already heard that a couple times, I hope to find some great ideas from other moms!

I imagine that most of us have some of those popsicle molds. I know it’s easier, and pretty inexpensive, just to buy some frozen pops. But it’s also pretty easy, and perhaps a little more healthful, to make your own. If you get the kids to help, it’ll keep them occupied for a few minutes, anyway.

I have an old piece of notebook paper in my recipe file, on which I copied several popsicle recipes from a magazine when I was about twelve. I thought I’d share a few to get you going. (I’m sure I don’t really need to point this out, but after combining the ingredients, pour into popsicle molds and freeze.)

popsicle flickr

Purple Cow (one of my favorites) Whisk 1 cup milk with 3/4 cup grape juice, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup lemon juice.

Quick Berry Puree in blender 3 1/4 cups fresh or unsweetened thawed frozen strawberries with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water.

Pop Banana Puree in blender 1 1/4 cups orange juice and 1 cut-up large banana.

Cafe au Lait Boil 1 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp instant coffee for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup half-and-half. (I actually have never made these, although I'm wondering why not. I'll definitely try them this summer. In case the half-and-half scares you, my notes say these are only 65 calories each, but I don't see why you couldn't just use milk to make it lighter.)

Creamy Peanut Boil 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup sugar for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup peanut butter, then 1 cup milk.

Pineapple Yogurt Whisk smooth 1 cup vanilla yogurt, 1 cup pineapple juice, and 1 tsp sugar.

Enjoy, and keep cool!

11 comments:

The Animator's Wife said...

YUM, gonna try these. Thanks!

Lucy Marie said...

Yum-o!

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

Oh wow! These sound awesome.
Thanks for these...
Now I have to go find a bpa free popsicle mold....preferably one with individual molds.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oooh, thanks, Holly!! Will have to try these. :)

Cass @ That Old House said...

My Mom, who raised 4 children, had a standard answer to any child who said, "I'm bored..."

She would answer: "Well, I think I've got a broom or a dust cloth around here somewhere, you can help me with . . . " and before she'd finished the sentence, the child had disappeared to amuse him or herself.

I envy you the summer with little ones -- I miss that!
Cass

dixie said...

Very fun, Holly. Chloe and I made popsicles last year from puddimg and from yogurt with stuff mixed in. We'll try some of these for sure!

Jennifer said...

Mmm... that pineapple yogurt sounds delish! =)

A Southern Rose said...

These sound so good! I will have to try them with the kids! Thanks!

Marie said...

Holly - these look so yummy! Will be trying them over the summer...my kiddos would love it.
Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Allison said...

These sound so yummy! You posted these just in time too...one of the things in our Boredom Box is to make homemade popsicles. Thanks for the great ideas!

Rustown Mom said...

Yummo - can't wait to try all the recipes (:
http://cannaryfamily.blogspot.com/2011/07/homemade-popsicles.html