Wednesday, July 7, 2010

How to Save on Tide Detergent

I wanted to post this Monday, but I've been having some computer problems around here...blah!  

I like to use Tide laundry detergent...not necessarily because I think it does a better job (quite frankly, I've never really noticed a huge difference between any of the main brands), but because I love the scent of the original powder.  Original scent liquid does not smell the same, and I don't care for all the other heavily scented varieties.

Until recently it was difficult to find the original powder around here...Walmart and Target didn't have it, and it cost too much at the grocery store.  Then I discovered that Walgreens regularly carries it.

But here's the best part:  once every 4-6 weeks, Walgreens has Tide (any scent) on sale for $5.99 for a 40 load box.  That's a pretty good price for any but the cheapest detergent.  The same size box at Walmart is $8. So whenever it's on sale at Wags I get 2 or 3 boxes and that carries me through to the next sale.

To further my savings, I've been getting the Tide boxes that indicate they have coupons on the inside; with the enclosed $1/off coupon I can get my next box for $4.99.  About once a month P&G has a coupon flier in the Sunday paper, which will sometimes have a Tide coupon as well.  There was one this week for $1 off. (My Walmart has recently started carrying the 120 load box of original scent for $18.50, so I'm still saving a little bit at Walgreens even if I don't have any coupons, and more if I do.)

This is a sale week at Walgreens, so go stock up if you're so inclined.  It's a little thing, but I thought it might help somebody. 

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Good find!

Another idea is to blend the original-scent Tide with the unscented version of another brand (e.g., Arm & Hammer is often on sale for a very low price).

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip and I like Melissa's idea.
Enjoy yours!
KarenSue

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Good tip! My mom uses tide, and always has. T has really sensitive skin, so for a long time we used cheapie Era b/c it worked, but then it started to give him rashes. I use All Free and Clear now, which is pricey, but it goes on sale from time to time....

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Tide is my favorite, and it's expensive! I honestly think it works better than the other brands, especially for spot stain treatment. Just wet the stain, add some powder, and some more water to make a paste. It works awesome!

FrouFrouBritches said...

I am very attached to my Gain Apple Mango Tango, but L has sensitive skin and we have to used All Free and Clear on him too. I grew up w/ mom using Tide original until I develped an allergy to it. Luckily, I can use Gain though. I wish I could find a sale like that on mine!