Monday, April 18, 2011

Tuesday’s Tips and Tricks: Check the Unit Price!

I consider myself to be a pretty savvy shopper.  I’m not an extreme couponer and I don’t always buy the cheapest brand, but there are very few things that I am brand-loyal to.  The majority of my shopping is done at Aldi, and most of the rest at Walmart.  I virtually always buy generic or off-brand items unless I’ve already tried it and didn’t care for it. 

I re-learned a lesson this weekend, though.  For some time I have been buying the White Cloud brand of toilet tissue at Walmart, 12 double rolls for $5.69.  On this shopping trip I noticed that the 6-pack of double rolls of the exact same tp is only $2 (I even check sheet #/size).  I don’t know if they haven’t had the 6 roll pkg until now, or if I’ve just never looked.  That makes the 12 roll pkg 47¢/roll and the 6 roll pkg only 33¢/roll.

I always compare prices on occasional purchases, but you can bet I’m going to be giving a second look to unit price on my regular items from now on!

 

Got any favorite products, gadgets, or other tips?  Link them up here! 

  • share a tip that makes your life easier
  • you must link back to me in your post
  • link to your specific party post, and not your general home page
  • please be polite and visit several other participants and leave a nice comment
  • I reserve the right to delete entries that don’t link back to me or do not fit the party theme

Linky will close at 11:59 pm central Tuesday.

2 comments:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Isn't that crazy?! I know I need to pay more attention to things like that in general. I bet I'd save us a lot more money. I need someone here to SHOW me how to use a couponing system. I cut them, but then I don't use them. :s

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

I so need to be checking the unit price. I rarely do. I bet I coould save myself some $!