Monday, June 13, 2011

Summer Plan Mini-Series: Fun Stuff

{This is the last of a three part series.  See also Kids’ Chores and Rules and Consequences.}

A year ago, I confessed that I am not naturally a fun mom.  I’m very type A and really don’t like things to be messy or out of control.  So last year I tried to plan a few out-of-the-ordinary activities for the kids and I’m taking a similar tactic this year.  You won’t find anything wild and crazy here, but maybe just a few ideas to pull out of the hat when you’re desperate.

First is the Boredom Jar.  This is not meant to be a punishment, but if I hear “I’m bored”  I’m going to send them to the jar.  They can either pull a stick and do that activity or decide that they are able to entertain themselves after all.  Nothing too ground-breaking here; just some ideas to get them busy if they’re having trouble coming up with something to do.
  • play a board game
  • play solitaire
  • read
  • bake
  • go to the playground
  • write a story
  • write a letter to nana/papa/aunt/uncle/friend
  • play in the sprinkler
  • build a fort
  • put on a puppet show
  • ride bike/scooter
  • have a lemonade stand
  • etc.
The boredom jar will also be an option for children who are quarrelling, as explained in Rules and Consequences.

Like last year, we’ll go to the library once a week.  We will also take advantage of some of the programs put on by the library, like movies and popcorn, the reading program, an event where kids can read to dogs, and so on.




The opening of our subdivision pool was delayed this year, but once that’s up and running we’ll be there

2008

We may do a few surprise ice cream runs.  After the kids are ready for bed, and when they aren’t suspecting it, we blow a whistle or bang a pot lid and yell “ice cream run!” and everybody piles into the van in their pajamas and we head to Sonic. 

And since I’m a control freak, I’ll try to plan an activity once a week that would give me hives if it happened spontaneously.  Last year we tie-dyed t-shirts.  Some ideas I have for this year include a shaving cream fight, making oobleck, diet Coke and Mentos…um, I’ll need some help in this department.  Maybe I’ll have the kids write a summer bucket list of things they’d like to do that I normally wouldn’t be too keen on.

Got any fun summer ideas?

5 comments:

raggygirlvintage said...

Lots of fun ideas and it's good to have a plan. My challenge is my kids are all at such different ages and stages now it's hard to find activities we can all do together!
Have a fun summer, we have another two weeks before school gets out...
Tracey

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I have a mean-mummy thing when my children say I'm bored. I give them a job to do!!! Okay, now I feel like the meanest mum in the world!! But it soon put a stop to them telling me. ;-)

I love the idea of planning in messy activities. I'm not very good at staying calm during those either - so planning in sounds good to me

Sarahx

Becky@OrganizingMadeFun said...

We host a Backyard Thursday in our yard each Thursday. It's like having HUGE playdate with all kinds of kids and Moms. Here:

http://organizingmadefun.blogspot.com/2010/07/getting-ready-for-backyard-thursdays.html

This is from last year, but I'll be posting again this week about more. We have such a great time. We also have swim lessons and now my son is doing golf lessons. I try to give them a lot of just nothing time, but with ideas of things to do {and their usual chores, too}. We also have a couple of people from church who open up their pools one day a week, sort of what I do with my Backyard Thursdays, only with their pool. Have fun!

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.com
Organizing Made Fun

Melinda said...

Love the Sonic idea. Ken and I would do this ourselves minus the pan banging.

Melinda

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I love the ice cream run idea!! That is so fun. :) As a fellow Type A control freak, I would freak out over them getting their pjs dirty in the car or ice cream all over themselves. Yeah, I'm that mom.