Monday, June 13, 2011

Tuesday's Tips and Tricks: Donating to Thrift Stores



You all know that I love to hit the thrift stores, for everything from clothing to household goods to decorating stuff.  But when those clothes have been grown out of, or I decide to change my decorating, I also donate to the thrift stores.

Make donating easier by keeping a clean trash can or box in the garage, lined with a trash bag.  As you come across an item to donate, toss it in.  When the bag is getting full, transfer it to your car and drop it off at the nearest thrift store next time you're out.




Got any favorite products, gadgets, recipes, shortcuts, or other tips?  Link them up here! 
  • share a tip that makes your life easier
  • please link back to me in your post
  • link to your specific party post, and not your general home page
  • please be polite and visit several other participants and leave a nice comment
  • I reserve the right to delete entries that don’t link back to me or do not fit the party theme
Linky will close at 11:59 pm central Tuesday.

**Sorry, everybody...there were some issues with the thumbnail list, so I closed that one to new entries and opened a basic list.






5 comments:

Paula@SweetPea said...

I don't have a garage, but I do something similar to you and keep a bag in one closet upstairs. Everything to donate goes there and when it's full, I drop it off. You probably fill yours more quickly than we do since you have growing kids in the house!

stephaniegiese said...

Hi Holy! Thanks for hosting again. I would love to link up, but I'm having a little bit of trouble this week. Would you mind adding my link when you get a chance? http://binkiesandbriefcases.blogspot.com/2011/06/tuesdays-tip.html

Thanks!!!

Richella Parham said...

This is a great tip, Holly. . . just keeping a container lined with a trash bag ready to receive anything I want to toss in would be an excellent solution for me. And then when it was full all I'd have to do is pick up that bag and go! This is the kind of simple, easy solution I need. Sometimes my brain just won't quite figure out the simple way to do something, so I am thankful for people who will share their great ideas!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

That's a great idea! We don't have a garage, and I have been tossing stuff on top of the dryer. :s I like to catalog everything we donate to get the tax write-off, so I always hem and haw before I actually go through it all.

FrouFrouBritches said...

I had three trash bags ready to go to the donation place and I pulled them back out for a garage sale this weekend....and then ended up donating them anyway. Donating seems to be way better than garage sales, at least for me.

Great tip because otherwise, your closet ends up looking like mine and you have to pull everything out and go through it. It's much easier just to put it in the bag when you realize it's not working for you anymore.