Thursday, February 26, 2009

Today's Menu

Every day when the kids get home from school it's the same old thing; "What's for dinner, Mama?". Sometimes they each ask it multiple times. Haven't they figured out by now that I don't think that far ahead? Ask me at 5:30 when I've got my head stuck in the freezer trying to find the answer to that question.

In an effort to make life easier for all of us, I've tried to start planning my meals a little earlier in the day and writing the menu on my ironstone plate with a dry erase marker. Actually, that's a little misleading...I'd like to say that I do this all the time and no more last minute desperation dinners. In reality, I write it on the plate when I happen to have it planned out ahead of time.

So, that's my little tidbit for the day, in case you didn't know. You can write on china with a dry erase marker and it wipes right off. You probably knew.

And that ironstone? A month ago I stumbled upon a whole set of it at Goodwill. I got 8 dinner plates, 13 salad/dessert plates, 12 bowls, this large platter (they call it a chop plate) and the cream and sugar set for about $45. I hemmed and hawed. I didn't really need it, and I couldn't find out much info on this particular pattern online, other than the basics.

It's called Federalist Ironstone, made in Japan, pattern is Harmony House #4238. It may have come from Sears, and according to Replacements is circa 1968. There seemed to be quite a lot of it available online, but it didn't appear to be in great demand. That was the kicker; if it was selling on ebay for $$$, I would've kept it (there are listings, but no bids).

I returned it all, except for the chop plate and the cream/sugar. At the time I just didn't feel like I could justify spending that much on something I didn't need. I fully expect to find out someday that this pattern is highly collectible and worth ten times what I paid.

And if you know that it is, please don't tell me.


8 comments:

Wendy said...

Okay, I won't tell you that it's worth a fortune. I'm very helpful that way! It is a pretty pattern though. And what a nice idea to put your "menu" on it. I didn't know you could write on it - am I in the minority here?

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

What a great idea! I just love your vingentte....um, I really don't think I spelled that right.

It's so hard for me to spend $ on anything over $20. I'm so cheap...hahaha!

Lucy Marie said...

Putting your menu on the plate like that is such a cute idea.

Nonie said...

I LOVE that idea...putting the menu on a plate. Just about the cutest idea yet.

Cass @ That Old House said...

Well all I can say is...that is a lovely and classic chop plate -- great pattern!

Check out the very popular "French Countryside" and "Antique White" patterns from Mikasa, you can see them on mikasa.com. They are so similar to your Harmony House plate, you will be amazed!

Love the menu idea. As you say, the only flaw is having to have it planned in advance!
Cass

Shannon said...

LOVE that idea!!

deborah said...

what a bargain. you needed that set

Anonymous said...

What a lovely idea. Hadn't thought of writing on them. The ironstone dishes indeed are from Sears. I inherited my Mother-in laws set and have recently passed them onto my daughter. I'm currently searching for more.