Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Knock-Off Party

 

Welcome!  This party is for those of us with champagne taste, but more talent and resourcefulness than cash.  If you knocked it off, you can link it up.   The party is now open to any home décor catalog/store knock-off.  There are a few basic rules (more details here):

  1. the knock-off must be made by you
  2. please have a photo of the original item so we can compare
  3. please link back to me in your post (why? read this)  If you like, just copy and paste this into your post:  Partying @ Homebody

 

This month, I recreated the Deux Ruban Linen Panel from Ballard Designs.  The 96” panel sells for $89 each.

ballard

 

I already had drop cloth drapes in the family room.  While not linen, the color is very similar.  It’s been a couple of years since I put these up, but I think each panel is one 6x9 drop cloth (about $10 each at Lowes).

 

1127080922_thumb

 

I bought 24 yards of black 1½” grosgrain ribbon at 82¢/yd (that was 30% off at Hobby Lobby) and sewed stripes to the bottom of my panel.  I didn’t even take it down; I just set up my sewing machine next to the window.  Procrastinator that I am, I did this at about 4 pm this afternoon, and I’ve only done the one so far.

 

IMG_8037

 

I had decided to only do three stripes, instead of Ballard’s four, partly to save a buck because I have another set of these panels to do in the adjoining dining area, which will be another 24 yards.  But now I don’t know; I think that fourth stripe adds a little oomph.  (I also think I need to raise my panels a smidgen so that they are just grazing the floor instead of resting on it.)  Other than that, I like it!

blogmay113

 

Your turn!

I’m going to leave this open until Sunday night, but will do a highlight post on Friday.

4 comments:

Gina said...

I like it - but your instincts about raising it are spot on. Nice!

FrouFrouBritches said...

Holly, I love your take on the Ballard curtains. I do agree they might need to be raised just a smidge, but the look fabulous!!!! Love them!!!! Great job! Wish I had a project, but I've been too busy to do anything. Too many field trips and end of the year school stuff going on. I will get something going for next month though!

Valeria said...

Nice job! I was thinking about doing something similar to this to a pr of drapes I found thrifting. I was going to use twill tape though.
I was lucky one day thrifting. I found a pair of 96" x 84" (perfect for my living room window) natural heavy canvas curtains, fully lined, with weighted hems at the Humane Society Thrift Store for- get this- 3.00 for the pair!!! woo-hoo what a deal; they don't look like they've ever been used!

Tiffany said...

I love that you did not take them down and just sewed the ribbons on as they were hanging! Too funny - sounds like something I would try. I agree to raise them a tad and I tend to agree about the extra oompf from the 4th stripe but try raising them to see if that's all it needs. Thanks for the tutorial! I need these in my dining room.