Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Thrift Store, and a Math Lesson

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you may have noticed that I haven't been talking about my thrift stores adventures nearly as much as I was.  I have indeed cut way back on thrifting, although I do still enjoy a trip now and then.

Last week I was out by the Salvation Army, which is far enough away that I do make a special stop if I happen to be in the area.  My total came to about $7, and can you believe that I had second thoughts as I handed over the cash?  I was thinking "why am I spending $7 on a bunch of stuff I don't need?".  Clearly, I'm out of practice!



The "cashew" jar was $1.39, and I buy these types of jars for pantry storage.  They don't all match; some are cracker jars with the screw-on lids, some are the latch-top canning jars, but I think they look good together anyway.  And since I've found them all at thrift stores for around $1 each, they're a bargain.


I also finally found an old aqua pint-size Ball jar for my soap dispenser.  Since all the lids fit all the jars, I just switched it out.  It was pretty cute before, but I really love it now!




Now the Speed-o-Weave really caught my eye!  I had never seen the loom before, but I sure remembered the the placemats and other things that were made with it from the '70s.  Dig that crazy vest!  I think my older sister may have had one of those.


Still, the main reason I bought it was because I thought it was nine cents; this store often has odd pricing so it didn't seem too strange.  It turned out to be 99 cents, but can you see what I saw?  The second 9 looked like a cent sign when I first looked at it, and since incorrect decimal placement is common these days, I didn't think anything of it.


That's a pet peeve of mine, actually.  I see it all the time.  {Decimal-nine-cent sign} actually means nine-tenths of one cent, not 9 cents.  {Decimal-75-cent sign} means 75 one-hundredths of a penny, not 75 cents.  If you are going to use the cent sign, you should not use the decimal.

Look:

  • 99c (99 cents)
  • $.99 (also 99 cents, or 99 one-hundredths of a dollar)
  • .99c (means 99 one-hundredths of a penny, because the cent sign is used.  Unless someone is going to give you change for your penny, this is incorrect)
But I digress.

I thought it would be fun for Pinkerbelle and I to try the loom.  I'll be sure to show you our creations if it works out.  Tomorrow, I plan to hit another thrift store to look for that red purse.  Thanks for all your kind words the other day about my mid-life crisis.  If I were a man, I'd be looking for a red convertible!

12 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

My sister still uses the placemats my grandmother made for her with the Speed-o-weave. I don't use them often but I still have my set!

Mrs Mary Joy Pershing said...

LOL...it sure looks like you had fun!!! :D I love thrift store shopping and haven't done it in a bit either...but maybe I need to do a little very soon! :D

I have similar pet peeves...and once I focus on them its very hard for me to let them go for a little bit. LOL Sounds like we are a lot alike, Holly!

Hope you have a great day, friend!

Mary Joy

Richella Parham said...

This post made me laugh out loud! Yep, I'd say you've got mid-life crises pegged pretty well. :) Although, I'll repeat: you can't possibly be middle-aged.

Your math lesson is great! Isn't it amazing how few people seem to understand the most basic concepts?

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Love the mason jar!!! Great find. :) I had a few of those looms. Made my dad something once for his bday. He made a suggestion to me...maybe adding a border or finishing it or something like that? Anyways, I got so mad that I decided to run away. So T and I planned our getaway every single morning on the way to school in our carpool. :)

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I reeeeeeeeally want one of those aqua jars. I really like them as soap dispensers. Well done on finding yours.

It looks brilliant.

Oh, and I'm JUST the same with those maths quibbles. Nice to know I'm not alone!

Sarahx

Anonymous said...

Hi thrifty sister! I think you just found a cottage industry for those soap dispensers! Totally brilliant! I'm sorry I haven't found your blog before - am adding you to our blogroll as we speak; come on over! http://thriftstoreconfidential.wordpress.com

Looking forward to reading more!
All best,
Nicole
Thrift Store Confidential

Jocelyn said...

Doesn't that look like Pam Darber (Mork and Mindy) on the cover of your Speed O Weave?? Wow that goes back ;-)

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

FrouFrouBritches said...

I love that canister. I saw a similar one for about $15 - I think from Target? Anyway, GREAT deal! You did good!

Selina@CreativeJuicesDecor said...

I love blogs like yours! Just clicked to follow. I have my thrift store posts too. LOVE it! When do you do your pottery barn knockoff parties. That is a great idea!!!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

My mother had one of those looms. I forgot all about it. Great finds. I love the aqua Ball jar. The whole decimal place thing drives me nuts, too! I used to be a math teacher:)

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Great finds! I have the jars & lids, I just need to find a dispenser to use!

Unknown said...

Holly, I had to laugh when I saw that you switched out the Mason jars. I did the SAME thing. I had made my hand soap dispenser first with a square Ball jar. Then I found a round blue one. Just took the tops off and switched them. I agree with you. I like the blue one better. Great minds think alike, lol : )