Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Whining Pays Off

{Oh. My. Word!  I've been thinking all along that the Knock-Off Party is this Friday, until I just looked at my sidebar and saw that it is tomorrow!  I am so not ready!  I guess I'll be coming up with something really quickly today.  I hope some of you are more on the ball than me.}
 PB, Restoration Hardware, Ballad Knock-Off Party is tomorrow....I hope you'll join!

I had a different post planned for today, and was sitting down to the desktop computer to type it out.  As I once again tried to figure out the vagaries of Linux and was once again failing, my frustration level was mounting.  Trying to keep my voice and tone calm, I asked Craig if he could please help me.  Again.

It’s usually about 2 minutes into this process that my voice start rising and steam starts coming out of my ears and Craig gets equally frustrated that I’m so impatient.  It was at this point tonight that I said  “why don’t you just get me a laptop for my birthday?”.  After all, the big 4-0 is coming up on Sunday.  Still, I wasn’t really serious, as we just don’t spend that kind of money on birthdays.

I guess my dear husband was at the breaking point, because he blurted out “I did!”.  Guess what I did then.  I started crying, partly because I was sorry that I had more or less compelled him to spoil his surprise, and partly because though he has given me some wonderful gifts in our 18 years of marriage, I don’t think he has ever once been able to surprise me.  I never peeked, but somehow or other I always knew.  This would have been the first time, because I definitely would have been surprised to open a laptop on my birthday.

Not only that, but he has secretly been working on setting it all up for me, so that it would be ready for me to turn it on and go.  So tonight I’m sitting here typing on my new MSI Wind Netbook.  It’s super tiny, about 11”x7”, and really cool.

Fullscreen capture 1252011 103646 PM.bmp

I’ve got Picasa back, and I’m using Windows Live Writer.  Hallelujah!
 
I’m not sure what the moral of this story is.  Certainly not that whining will get you everything.  Maybe it’s just that I should be more patient.  Maybe it’s that I have the most awesome husband in the world…but I already knew that.

I love you, babe, and not just because you got me a computer, but because you constantly make sacrifices to try to make me happy and make my life easier.

I’m a happy computer camper, and a blessed wife!

6 comments:

Paula@SweetPea said...

Congratulations on our new laptop!! No more frustration might be the best b-day gift!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh, Holly, that is awesome!!!! I love having a laptop and having the ability to work in any room. :) I'm so excited for you. :)

A "friend" ditched me a couple Sundays ago. We were supposed to meet and go over some details for an upcoming MOPS meeting. She went to have pedicures with a friend instead (put it on her FB) and didn't even bother to call me. I was so upset about it, that it really bothered T. Without telling me, he ordered a g/c for a pedicure for me and a *real* friend and had it mailed to the house. I was speechless b/c he doesn't normally "think outside the box" like that. :)

Karalee said...

So thoughtful! Actually brought tears to my eyes, lol.........must be my age.

Anonymous said...

So thoughtful, and fabulous! You didn't spoil the surprise, you just moved up the surprise by a few days. Still a wonderful surprise. I've been guilty of the same thing before. :-) My hubs is fabulous at surprises, I do all the budgeting. So he's gotten very creative over the years. It's a great feeling to know that we can still be surprised by our husbands!! Happy Birthday!

{northern cottage} said...

oooohhh picasa and live writer mixed? I've been using live writer forever...how do YOU upload from picasa EFFICIENTLY?

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Aaah, Holly, what a sweetie! My husband is forever accidently telling me what he's got me for presents! He's better than he used to be.

What a fab present - lucky you!

Sarahx