Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Gone-All-Day Supper

Maybe you know you're going to be out all day, say, going to thrift stores with your friend (yes, again!). And you also know that you will be too beat when you get home to stand around in the kitchen cooking. This is a super-simple meal for those kind of days.

In the morning, throw some chicken breasts in the crockpot. They can even be frozen, but if I do it that way, I prefer to be around to pour off the extra liquid once they've thawed. And I know some people are worried about the safety of putting frozen food in the crockpot, but I've been doing it for 16 years and never had a problem. However, just to cover my behind, I will not advise anyone else to put frozen meat in the crockpot. Do so at your own risk.

Okay, so the chicken is in the crockpot. Pour your favorite bbq sauce over it. My family likes KC Masterpiece. Turn the crockpot on low, and go do your thing. At supper time, shred the chicken with two forks. It will be super tender. Pour more sauce over it, if you like.

Serve it on hamburger buns, with a green salad or carrot sticks, and a few chips. Done.

It's not gourmet, but it gets the family fed. And it is pretty good, after all. Firstborn would eat this every night of the week if he had his way.

2 comments:

Genny said...

It gets the family fed...I love it!

Anonymous said...

Had a fun day yesterday, Holly!!! My new thrify console table is a perfect fit so it's a keeper!