Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Around the House

12/16/08 I'm getting a lot of mileage out of this post. Today I'm hooking up with Kimba's Open House.
Hey, I wouldn't redecorate the house every time I had new visitors, right, so why do a whole new post?

12/15/08 Today I'm linking up to Hooked on Houses Christmas house tours and Southern Hospitality's Deck the Halls. Be sure to visit them!


Welcome! We'll start at the front door. My two little topiary trees are the ones I got at Old Time Pottery for $9/pr, prelit. I had the urns, we filled them with rocks from the drainage ditch behind the house and I topped it with moss. I'm pleased enough with them, particularly for the price.

Here's a nighttime view.


The wreath itself I've had since our first Christmas together (16 years ago!), but a couple of years ago I redid it with the white and silver, and I still like it. Most of the items came from Dollar Tree.

Just inside the front door is the Christmas tree. We have a real one this year, for only the second year in the last ten. We got an artificial one when Firstborn was one; I guess we were worried about him eating needles or something. Anyway, this is a Fraser fir, and I like the look, but the branches are a bit wimpy and tend to bend down from the weight of the ornaments.


I heart my glass icicles. I think they add the perfect finishing touch. I got the letters from Restoration Hardware two years ago, and I really like them. I wish I had a lot more. This photo made me notice the little snowman hanging way out by himself on the top left. Hmmm. I have since made him mix and mingle with the rest of the crowd.


I'm lovin' this year's pinecones and aged silver objects from Dollar Tree.


My little Christmas village is on top of the china cabinet. I do not have the knack for arranging this.


On the ledge behind my corner kitchen sink I have this little tree. I decorated it with my small collection of miscellaneous old silverware that came down to me through my Grandma.


This sweet little ladle is only about 4" long.

Thanks for coming! I'm glad I could share this with you! I've been a little bummed this year that none of my family will be here. We often the last several years got at least a brief visit from my sister and her family when they were driving down to college to pick up my neices, but the last one graduated last year, so no more. They have their own grandbabies and extended family, and a 15 hour drive south just doesn't happen unless necessary.

In fact, my family is spread out across two countries (US and Canada) and it's not often that we are able to get together for Christmas. So we will enjoy our day at home, and probably stay in our pajamas. But I'm happy to have been able to open my home to you!

24 comments:

Shannon said...

LOVE your trees! I love the one in the kitchen...so cute!!

About our tree...It is a fake tree. We bought a garden urn and put the middle pole of the tree in it and put cement around the base. Does that make sense? Let me know if it doesn't and I can explain it better.

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Everything looks so beautiful! I am in love with your wreath!

gina said...

love the trees- espcially the kitchen themed one- very creative. love the wreath- I adore silver decorations.

Lisa said...

Just wanted to thank you for visiting my blog!
(I think your blog design is great.)
I LOVE the letters on the tree, I may have to copy that so I'm going to be on the lookout for some of my own!
Merry Christmas!

Denise K. said...

So pretty! I think all your Christmas decorations look fantastic! Love the antique spoon in there too...you are so creative! :-) Merry Christmas!

Katie said...

Very nice Christmas decorations!

Speaking of Christmas, Amy and I are getting ready to send our Christmas cards out but we don't have your latest home address. I called Mom but she didn't have it either. So if you could facebook message me with it that would be great! Love ya :)

Steph said...

I really like your wreath! All your decorations are pretty.

Gretchen said...

I love the wreath b/c it can last all winter, not just for Christmas. Beautiful!

Dawn said...

Absolutely beautiful!!

And, I agree, you are very creative. :)

SmilingSally said...

While missing family, bloggers can serve as a bit of a replacement family. Thanks for sharing.

Teresa said...

Thanks for the Christmas tour- love the ladle on the Tree- what a great idea-
Merry Christmas

Kristen said...

Wow! I love your tree and THAT spoon!

Also, your blog is snowing...I want snow!

Anonymous said...

I love your decorations too! The wreath is beautiful, and the little kitchen tree is a great idea, but I have a question...how did you manage to get Grandma's silver? ;)

jill said...

Everything is so lovely. What a treasure your kitchen tree is. Thanks for sharing your holiday home. Merry Christmas!

Amanda said...

can you tell me about you got the snow effect? love it!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I'm really loving those silver pinecones. I can't believe you got them at Dollar Tree!

Thanks for joining my blog party and inviting us inside your lovely home. Everything looks great!

Merry Christmas!! -Julia :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I wish I used more silver now! Thanks for sharing.

Domestic Goddess..Diva sometimes said...

Your wreath looks so nice! And I think that old laddle is cute too!

Anonymous said...

Love your pretty wreath on the front door! That spoon is just darling on the tree! Thanks for the tour!

Manuela

JudyBug said...

I just visiting all these lovely homes and getting such neat ideas. I'm going to dig out my odd pieces of silver. What a cute idea with the ladle!

Decor To Adore said...

I love your decorations~absolutely adorable!
I hope you'll visit soon, I will have my last giveaway of December this Friday.

Kimba said...

I love your trees! And the Dollar Tree ornaments are fabulous!

Merry Christmas,
Kimba

honeysuckle said...

Your trees are great. Love the idea with the silverware (of which I have alot) and impressed with your Dollar Tree deals. I will have to check ours when it gets through snowing--We will definitely have a White Christmas. Thanks for great ideas.

Miss G said...

I too love glass icicles! I had one as a child and then have been collecting them ever since. Kelly