Friday, December 12, 2008

Stamped Tile Coasters

This is another easy and inexpensive gift idea. You can find these all over the internet (that's where I got the idea), but I thought I might as well put it on my blog too. I'm giving these to the kids' teachers this year, along with a Scholastic gift certificate. My cost per teacher for the coasters is about $6. That includes the cost of the ink and stamp, which obviously I will keep and be able to use over and over, so if you think of it that way, the cost is even less.

You will need
  • tumbled marble tiles from Lowes or Home Depot (9 in a box for about $5)
  • StazOn stamp pad ($8 at Michaels or Hobby Lobby, use the 40% off coupon)
  • a stamp (cost varies, use the coupon)
  • sticky felt pads, or cork, or just felt and a glue gun
The tiles are unglazed and natural and rustic looking.

Ink your stamp; with bigger stamps I find it easier to apply the ink to the stamp as above, rather than patting the stamp onto the ink pad.

Set your stamp on a tile and press down, being careful not to wiggle or shift it. I liked this acrylic stamp which made it easy to position since I could see through it.

Lift the stamp straight off; again, don't jostle it. When you're all done stamping, let them dry for a while, maybe even overnight, and then put them in a 350 degree oven for 15 or 20 minutes.

When the tiles have cooled, apply the little felt pads to the back corners to protect surfaces. I noticed that some people like to use a protective coating on the top, and some don't. I chose not to, in order to keep whatever absorbancy the tile has.


Tie a stack of four with a pretty bow, and you're all set!

5 comments:

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

These turned out to so perfect. And what a really great idea to give as a teacher's gift. Thanks for sharing!!

Dawn said...

Very, very cute!!

Steph said...

Those look so good! Those teachers are so lucky.

gina said...

Another great gift idea! I'm done shopping, but I'm going to gather all of these ideas and start making them all for next year!

Sheri said...

Very cute! You have some nice tutorials. I've posted a number of links on childmade.com. Thanks for sharing!