Saturday, December 20, 2008

Souper Saturday--Chicken Noodle

Tonight I had the leftover roasted chicken from Wednesday in the fridge. I picked off all the meat and made chicken broth with the carcass (could there be an uglier word?). Broth is so simple, as you probably know. I just covered the bones with water, added chunked up carrot, celery, and an onion to the pot, a couple of bay leaves, and a few peppercorns and simmered for about an hour.

After removing all the bones etc. so I was just left with broth, I added some (fresh) sliced carrot and celery, brought it to a boil and added whole wheat noodles. When the noodles were cooked, I lowered the heat and added the cooked, chopped chicken. I added a good amount of sea salt to enhance the flavor.



This one was a winner at the dinner table! There is nothing homier than a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup. The kids actually liked it, rather than just tolerated it. I tend to prefer trying a more adventurous soup, but this was good, basic comfort food.

Ratings:
Handsome 9
Me 8
Firstborn 9
Skippy 8
Pinkerbelle 8

Average 8.4 This is our top contender so far this year!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Sounds very yummy!!

gina said...

Yummy- we're having roasted chicken today- I just might have to give this a try!

Leslie said...

I haven't thought about chicken noodle soup in a long time. And that is one of my husband's favorite. Thanks for jolting my memory. Think I'll have it for supper one night soon.

Rue said...

Hi Holly :)

That looks yummy!

Merry Christmas :)

rue

Shannon said...

Merry Christmas!