Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I'm a Knifty Knitter

This week, I took up knitting. This is not my first foray; when I was a teenager in Canada I decided I was going to teach myself to knit, and started with a cable-knit shawl collar cardigan. I bought the needles, the pattern, and lots and lots of yarn, and off I went. I actually made some progress, and even got as far as figuring out the ribbing and the cable twist. But when I got to the first increase or decrease, I gave up. Uh, yeah, I think I was a little too ambitious.

But check this out...here's my first project this week. Pretty good, no?


Here's my secret; I did not use knitting needles, I used the Knifty Knitter looms by Provocraft. I came across these while browsing for Christmas gift ideas for Pinkerbelle. Based on reviews, I decided that she was a little too young for these and went with My First Sewing Kit by Alex Toys instead (it was on sale at Michael's). But I wanted the looms and I put them on my wish list.

This just involves wrapping the yarn around the pegs in various ways and using a little hook tool to loop it over. It's not brainless, but it is pretty easy. Skippy and Pinkerbelle have even helped out some.

The original hat was too small for any of my kids--I should've used a bigger loom. I had already started this garter stitch scarf with the rest of the yarn but didn't have enough. Instead of buying more yarn, I got the brilliant idea to unravel the useless (to us) hat. So the hat is now this ball of yarn, and will become a scarf.

Michael's is having a big yarn sale this week and this morning I went and picked some out. I didn't really have a specific pattern in mind, though, so that made it a little difficult. But I came home with this fun nubby "Pooch" yarn--a scarf, maybe? And Pinkerbelle picked out the soft pink fuzzy stuff, and wants a little blanket. These yarns are normally $6 and $7 a skein, but this week it's $2 for the Pooch and $1.5o for the pink. That's a really good deal and I was tempted to buy a lot but held back in light of my colossal waste of money on the sweater that never was. Better to actually accomplish something before I start sinking a lot of cash into this hobby.

I can't wait to get started!


9 comments:

lawton.hollylynn@gmail.com said...

This is so exciting! I've wanted to try crocheting but this looks easier and I love the yarn you've chosen for upcoming projects. Thanks for the ideas.

gina said...

That's neat. I used to know how to crochet when I was a kid... but never followed up on it past scarfs and potholders. I love the pooch yarn!

Lucy Marie said...

Holly, Where can I find those looms? Do they sell them at Michael's? I really think I'd like to give it a try.

Holly said...

Lucy, I've seen them at Michaels and Walmart.

Rob and Deanna said...

Hmmmm....I think I might could even Use this loom. Neat!

Elisa said...

Ok I use the knifty knitters but I am having trouble finding anyone to show me how to use them. I have the ones you have plus I have the long purple one. I see on your round one you have only went half way I have tried doing only one sid on my long one and I cannot get the yarn to pull over it is so tight. Do you have any ideas?

Elisa said...

also what are some good websites, sorry about not putting this on the other post.

Holly said...

Elisa, I'm really new at this too, and am still trying to figure things out. For some websites I have found helpful, check out my blog post called "Knit Wit", or send me an email if you have more questions (click on my name for my profile) so I can email you.
Thanks for stopping by!

Traci @ The Bakery said...

OMG...I love the looms!!! I can't knit worth anything....but these, these I can DO!!! I tend to like the rectangle looms better though....

GREAT BLOG!!!