Saturday, December 13, 2008

Quick Supper--Hot Ham Sandwiches

These hot ham sandwiches are very versatile. Make them and eat them right then. Or make ahead and wrap individually in foil and freeze, and bake from frozen as needed. Or use the packaged attached dinner rolls and serve them at a brunch. Use any ham, chopped up; it's great for using up leftovers. Or use deli ham. Use any cheese you prefer. Use a spicy mustard in place of yellow. You really can customize it to use what you have.

For 8 hamburger buns, mix 1/4 cup softened butter with 1 tsp yellow mustard and poppy seeds (as much as you like). Spread a thin coating on tops of buns.



Now, chop some onion finely...it depends on your taste, but maybe 2 Tablespoons. Mix it into remaining butter mixture and spread on bottom halves of buns. Line a pan with foil, or if making individually, use a square of foil for each bun. Top bottom half with chopped ham, or slices, even. Top that with swiss cheese, or any cheese you prefer. Two of my family don't like swiss, so I used shredded cheddar for them. Replace bun tops. Cover pan with foil, or wrap individually.





At this point, you can put the individually wrapped ones in the freezer until needed. The baking is the same, frozen or not. Put in a 350 degree oven until hot, cheese is melted and buns are just slightly crusty on top.




If you're making them for a brunch, it's nice to use the smaller dinner rolls.



Slice off the tops in one piece, and proceed as above, using the foil lined pan. The sandwiches will be attached until serving, when each person can pull one off.


These are really delicious. My whole family loves them, and they are super convenient to keep in the freezer. I remember my grandma pulling a couple of these out of the freezer for a quick lunch. Delicious!

Joining Amanda's Family Friendly Food Week.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh my, those look scrumptious!

Amanda said...

yum! thanks for the "snow" info!

Anonymous said...

Holly,

Congrats you won Nesting Place's giveaway! I'm Laryssa, the artist behind the paintings.

As per Nester's giveaway you get 2 paintings. Pick out what you'd like from my Etsy shop. You can get to my shop from the button on my blog at:
www.HeavenInTheHome.com

Rustown Mom said...

This looks so good and perfect to have on hand for crazy school nights, too!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh my word, Holly, those look soooo good! They remind me of a really tasty Southern-style appetizer that is popular around here. :) Thanks so much for joining my Family Friendly Food Week party. :)