Thursday, February 10, 2011

Alone

I’m getting a late start today.  Wanna know why?  Because school is in (yay!) and Firstborn, who is homeschooled, is at the office with Craig.  This is the normal Thursday arrangement, but with all the snow days and sick days we’ve had, I’m not sure that we’ve had a normal Thursday since Christmas.

So this morning I got up, made the lunches and got the younger two off to school, and then…I went back to bed!  Ahh, bliss!  I got up at 10, took a shower, had some breakfast, and now I’m sitting down at the computer. 

It’s always tempting on these kind of days to start ticking off things that need to be done, and errands that need to be run.  I think that’s a throw-back from the days of having little children.  If I ever had a rare moment without them, that was the time to get stuff done.  Now that they are in school, and Firstborn is old enough to stay home alone, I am able to do all those things during the day. 

I came to a realization today, however.  “Without children” is not “alone”.  Going to the grocery store without the kids is certainly much quicker and easier, and even enjoyable, but it is not alone.  There are a hundred other people there, all talking and making noise, even if it’s not directed at me.  Ditto going to Target, or even to the library.

I enjoy the company of my family and friends, but I need a good amount of alone time.  I might run out and make a couple of fun stops just for me, but I will spend the rest of the day at home, alone, in silence.  Maybe I’ll read by the fireplace.  I’m sure I’ll spend a good amount of time on the computer.  I have a couple of gift certificates to spend, so maybe I’ll do some online shopping.

But I refuse to go to Walmart.  I will not do chores or projects.  I might plan them, but I will leave the doing for tomorrow.

Because today, I am alone.  And I love it.

tree

source

 

Linking up with Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now.

12 comments:

Mom in High Heels said...

Oh, alone! I love alone! Cub Scouts is my activity in the WORLD because James Bond takes Indy and I get to be ALONE for a whole hour every week. Heaven. I homeschool Indy, so alone is a very special thing in my world. Enjoy your alone time!

hawkeyejlp said...

Sounds fabulous. This is why I get up 30 min. earlier than I HAVE to, so I can just sit in the kitchen alone with my coffee.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Cherish that alone time! I know just what you mean....For me, it is a break to get to go to Target by myself. ;)

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh, nothing is like Alone/me time! I don't even have kids yet & I crave it. :-) Ejoy every minute you have! :-)

Shug said...

Thanks Holly..
Now I can finally say that I'm not so weird after all. There is someone else in this world that loves silence. If and when I ever get the chance to be home by myself, I like silence..
No TV, No radio, nothing but me Breathing.
Enjoyed!
Shug

Cheryl said...

My littlest in in Kindergarten right now and I have found myself alone at the store.

One day I was chatting with someone and I said Yeah, and we got this done this morning.... I was by my self standing there. It was funny to be by myself. I guess the person I was talking to must have thought I had a bird in my pocket or that I just don't get out alone much. "We." Lol.

FrouFrouBritches said...

You enjoy it girl! Everybody needs a little silence every once in awhile. I think the only time I get any is when I "run" to the store when Hubby is home. He wonders why it takes me an hour to get milk. HA!

Gina said...

Oh, girl, I hear you!

Melinda said...

Hope you had agreat day for yourself!

Melinda

Dawn said...

aaahhhh-sounds wonderful! since i have little ones who are home most of the time, my alone time is usually out somewhere, but i do love being alone in the house on the rare occasions

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I hope you had a great time ALONE, Holly. I was pretty envious of you. ;)

Lindsey V said...

I understand that! I never "got that" until....I got married AND hit my 30's...AND after years of working in the ministry with people around me ALL THE TIME....how much I needed alone time "some" of the time anyway!

And I agree! Going to Walmart is DEF not alone time....I like to go at odd times or to the Walmart on the "less" busy side of town JUST to avoid the crowds!