Friday, February 4, 2011

Dear Superintendent of Schools

In light of the weather events of earlier this week, I would like to thank you for putting the safety of our children first.  I was somewhat relieved when the students were sent home early on Monday, as ice had been falling for several hours and the roads were getting slicker by the moment.  Although I’m sure the bus drivers go through a rigorous training, no one should have to drive an enormous vehicle filled with giddy children on roads that could serve as an Olympic speed skating rink.

I fully expected that school would be closed on Tuesday, as the ice had changed to snow overnight and the forecast was for blizzard conditions and 12-18” of snow accumulation.  The whole metropolitan area was basically shut down, and it was comforting to know that my children were safely at home with me as the snow continued to fall all day.

I questioned whether there would be school on Wednesday or not.  Since we actually only got about 5” of snow, and it had more or less ended by Tuesday evening, I figured the roads would be in decent condition by morning.  However, when we got the call that once again there would be no classes, I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.  After all, some areas in our district are more rural in nature and it could have been that not all of the roads were clear.

Nevertheless, I was confident that school would reconvene on Thursday.  Imagine my surprise when the phone rang and the automated voice informed us of yet another snow day.  The roads were clear and the sun was shining, so my guess is that you were concerned about the below-average temperature.  Never mind that my kids played outside in the snow for three hours straight on both Wednesday and Thursday; I can see why you would be concerned about them standing at the bus stop for 5 minutes.

Should this ever happen again, please be assured that I, and I’m willing to bet the majority of parents, would be happy to drive the children to school.  I would dress them warmly, so you need not fear frostbite.  I have been under the impression that the school building is heated, therefore I would be comfortable with them spending the day there.  Should the outdoor temperature warrant, I would certainly be in favor of indoor recess, as so often happens in the event of other types of unpleasant weather conditions.

At this point, I am in full confidence that the school bus will be here on Friday morning to pick up the kids and carry them to a joyful reunion with their teachers and classmates.  The temperature is forecast to be 4 degrees higher than Thursday; I trust that you will take that into consideration as you make your decision.

Thanks again for your dedication the children.

Sincerely,

A Grateful Mother

blogbeb11 Beauty After the Storm 02/03/11

 

{My bloggy friend Amanda was my inspiration for this post format.  She has written “Dear…” posts several times.  Visit her at Serenity Now.}

{Enter my chocolate giveaway!}

 

Weekend Bloggy Reading

 

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my! I had to laugh at this. You sound exactly like what we went through a couple weeks ago.. Only We were closed Monday-Friday, and the the following monday was a holiday, so the kids didnt go back till Tuesday.

In fact, it was more like this. We were out for Christmas Holidays(which we got snow, and we've NEVER had snow on Christmas before) then school resumes, and they went a total of THREE DAYS when the snow fell again and were out for a week and a day. ;/

Then last night, parts of our state got MORE SNOW, but we did not...

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh, Holly, I feel your pain! We had that trouble last year with preschool. We'd have a clear day or two, and then something else would blow through and Natalie would miss preschool again. I think she may have gone twice in 2 months??

Love the post format. ;) Made me smile this morning!! I hope for your sake there was no phone call this morning. :)

Richella Parham said...

One snow day is heavenly. Two are pretty cool. Three in a row? The mom's sanity starts to be questionable.

Hope your very safe and quite warm children are back at school today! :)

April Westerhold said...

This has been a trying time and it is supposed to snow next Mon-Wed? Are you in Ft. Zumwalt? I heard that school was cancelled on Thurs because of Route P . . . I don't know where that is. If it gets cancelled again I am going to have to brave the weather and be like everyone else in the city . . . go to McDonald's playground, Scient Center, Museum, etc. I can't take another day!!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I love this, Holly! We were the same in England. It felt like the children had a couple of years off school before Christmas!

Sarahxx

FrouFrouBritches said...

Oh, how I love my sarcastic bloggy friends. Y'all soooo make me smile!!! Does a heart good to have friends that speak my langauge.

Our school got cancelled about 4 hours ago and I'm already going bananas! Bless your heart! I don't know how you are staying sane!

Jennifer said...

I love this post. I can totally relate. We had the same thing happen here for a week last month (North Carolina). Monday & Tuesday made sense to be out, Wednesday was on the fence but it was kinda ok that it was cancelled,Thursday...you've got to be kidding me! Our school DID start back up that Friday so I am hoping yours did today. Hang in there!
Stopping by from Amanda's party.
Jenn

Robin said...

Amen, Sista! I could not have written that better myself! I hope your kids have gone back today like mine have. If so, enjoy the peacefulness!

Robin

Southern Fried Gal said...

Haha - that is too funny. I have one for you - this morning our district called a snow day before even one drop of snow fell. I have never seen anything like it in my life. Granted it did start snowing around 8:30 am but the roads have been in pretty good condition until just the past hour or so. School lets out at 2:40. I'm not complaining that I have my munchkin at home today - just laughing at the weirdest call of a snow day ever. Hope you have a blessed weekend!

FairfieldHouse said...

Humorous post expressing the feelings most mother's will experience at least once!

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

A friend just send me the link to your drop cloth chairs you and your sister did ! Wow! they look great. I have a chair that I was thinking of doing as well and was wondering if you washed the cloth first? Thanks

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

Thanks so much for the tips. My chair is an Antique French chair that will be in the master bedroom. It will not get much use other than a place to put my handbag and clothes I am too lazy to put away just yet...

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Forgot to tell you that they called one of the schools off last week for RAIN! I guess they thought it would be worse than it was. :s

Melissa said...

Oh goodness, don't get me started on how they determine if school is called here. It's crazy. Last week, my kids were sent home early for fear of "impending snow." what the heck? It didn't start snowing until 9 p.m. I hear ya sista!!